Compact 1.5 Axis Servo Drive
- Current: 2.2A rms – 16.0A rms (4.4A rms – 32A rms Peak)
- Supply: 115V / 230V
Epsilon EP, Control Techniques’ compact and easy-to-use servo drive, is scalable from a simple amplifier to a completely programmable 1.5-axis motion controller.
The Epsilon EP is available in three flexible models – Epsilon EP-B (Base), Epsilon EP-I (Indexer), and Epsilon EP-P (Programming). Each model is available with five drive different power stages – 2.2A, 4.0A, 6.5A, 9.0A and 16.0A – providing the capability to deliver over 198lb-in (22.4Nm) of torque at the rated motor speed, and 396lb-in (44.8Nm) of peak torque for those high demanding pulse duty application.
Connectivity is the key. The Epsilon EP offers four of the most popular network connections for industrial controls. RS485 with the standard Modbus RTU interface is on all models allowing interfacing to PC Tools, simple HMI’s, and Drive-to-Drive configurations. Optional ProfiBus DP and DeviceNet communication configurations for system integration to common PLC platforms, and EtherNet, standard on every Epsilon EP-P, opening up a whole new world of interfacing possibilities are also available.
Control Techniques Epsilon EP servo drive product line offerings include integrated motion control solutions. The Epsilon EP product line offers product scalability with base, indexer and programming variants.
Variants and their respective solutions include:
- Epsilon EP – P (Programmable): Create complete user programs to sequence the motion control
- Epsilon EP – I (Indexer drive): Position controller provides Home, Index, and Jog motion profiles
- Epsilon EP – B (Base drive): Ideal for servo applications utilizing an external motion controller.
Additional features include:
A Real-Time Program (RTP) is a user program that executes in a single servo update. A RTP allows synchronous execution of a user program with the internal motion kernel which enables the possibility of real-time modification of motion profiles, monitoring of key performance indicators, or to make time critical calculations needed to get the most out of your motion control system.
Programming electronic cams has taken a huge step forward with Control Techniques’ easy-to-use camming functions. PowerTools Pro offers a unique graphical interface which show the motion engineer exactly what the cam profile looks like in polar or linear coordinates. Cam data can be imported from a CAD system or entered directly from the PowerTools Pro software or even self generated within a user program.
Epsilon EP supports several different types of interpolation types including linear, cosine, square, cubic spline, and jerk free offering flexibility in trajectory generation. Cam profiles can be started as easily as turning on an input, with no user program involved. Of course for advanced capabilities, user programs can be also used enabling access to a wealth of cam information and dynamically monitoring.
Modbus Master takes machine control capability to a whole new level. No longer limited to the drive’s on-board I/O, the Modbus Master can manage a very large number of I/O and communicate updates to any Modbus follower device, giving machine builders extensive control options.
Analog position control and Fieldbus position control allow the Epsilon EP to replace an expensive PLC motion control module with a simple, low cost analog signal or Fieldbus register.
With Position Tracker, the closed loop feature of the position controller has been integrated into the drive itself. The user simply sends the drive an analog or Fieldbus signal that is proportional to the absolute motor/actuator position. Advanced features such as “teach” functions also contribute to faster set up.
These timers provide a simple and accurate way to trigger an action based on a previously initiated time delay. Select from up to seven different timer types to match your needs.
The EP-P drive uses common Ethernet protocols for all levels of networking ranging from applications setup and monitoring to communicating to PLC’s via Ethernet/IP or connecting to an operator panel using Modbus TCP/IP.
Technology for reliability and performance
- Flexible bus voltages DC, AC 10V to 264V
- 5 Drive Power Options: 2.2, 4, 6.5, 9 and 16 Amps
- 1 to 200 lb-in continuous torque range
- Drive types: Base, Indexing, and Programmable
- Indexing and Programmable drives can be ordered with optional DeviceNet or Profibus
- Easy install, setup and operation
- Compact, space saving design, six-inch (152 mm) panel depth including cables
- Pluggable connectors, Standard D-Shell and Screw Terminals
- State-Space Observer Control, which allows 10-1 inertia mismatch out of the box, and 50-1 with tuning
- FREE PowerTools software, and upgrades
- Programmable, optically-isolated I/O
- RS485 serial communication interface using Modbus protocol
- Ethernet/IP and Modbus TCP/IP standard on the Epsilon EP-P programmable drive
- Field programmable flash memory firmware (upgrades are free)
- Wide variety of motor combinations: Unimotor HD, Unimotor FM, MG, NT, XV
- Auto-Tune support for any servo motor with encoder feedback
- 24 VDC input for logic power supply