Flame & Explosion Proof Motors for Hazardous Areas
Alpha Electrics are able to source flameproof and explosion proof motors for hazardous environments. These motors are designed to be capable of efficient operation under heavy stresses.
sourcing and delivery
How It Works
From quotation to repair: From the start, we will outline exactly what parts of your pump need replacing and how we propose to repair the issues. All repair work is coupled with a thorough testing phase carried out in-house. Once fixed, we can arrange the delivery of your product directly to your business. With each pump repair, we always include a 1-Year Warranty, and if the pump is not repairable, we will arrange a replacement to get you up and running as soon as possible.
1) CONSULTATION & QUOTATION
In the consultation phase, we establish your requirements and look at the hazardous factors your motor will be exposed to. We then issue a quote outlining your various options broken down by model and price. At a minimum, to comply with legislation as of January 2021, all our flameproof and explosion proof motors are certified LE3 or above.
Once the quote has been accepted, we look to establish with greater accuracy the environment in which the motor will be working. All hazards and risk factors are investigated in detail including performance needs such as speed, torque and load requirements before making our recommendations.
3) QUOTATION, SOURCING & DELIVERY
During sourcing, we outline all performance specifications, model details and associated costs with your new motor. Once confirmed, the new motor can then be delivered to you anywhere in the world. Please remember, bespoke motors could take between 6 - 8 weeks.
What To Consider When Looking For A New Motor
Hazardous industrial environments can place unique strains on AC and DC motors. We will be able to advise you whatever the nature of your business, however it may be worth considering the following factors before you begin:
- Will your new motor be in close proximity to factors such as open flames or combustible particles? If so, would it be worth considering purchasing an explosion proof motor for your industrial environment?
- Is the environmental atmosphere considered flammable? If so, what causes this? Consider things like combustible metallic or plant based dust, chemical particles, and air borne vapours.
- What physical stress factors, if any, need to be taken into consideration? Will the motor be located near vibrating or resonating surfaces? Does the nature of your equipment require high torque or speed demands?
- Will your new motor be exposed to viscous materials such as glues or paints that could build up over time and inhibit its performance?
- Will there be unique load strains that your new motor will need to work with?
Risk Factors Associated With Electric Motors In Hazardous Areas
A hazardous industrial environment is one where explosive or flammable vapours or particles can be found. Typically this is limited to walls and machine surfaces, or within the atmosphere. With the wrong motor, these combustible pollutants can ignite causing explosions and fires. There are several ways in which this could happen:
- Spray paint booths where vapours in the air would ignite from a spark caused by high environmental temperatures
- Chemical emissions ignited from intense heat levels radiating off a motor’s surface
- Air borne paper or metallic fragments being ignited through sparking across the motor’s air gas
- Flammable liquids ignited through static generated parts of the motor, not equipotentially bonded (such as the integral cooling fan).
The Alpha Electrics 1-year Warranty on all motors gives you peace of mind and reassurance in the parts we supply. In the unlikely event of a fault relating to supplied unit, you can return it to us and we will resolve the issue immediately.